Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A lazy morning

I got up at a respectably early hour (6am), and (having no pressing assignments or exams to work on at the moment) I finished reading Washington Square. I'll write my reflections on it later, after I have read the critical essay in the Penguin edition. It's a worthwhile read, and I'm glad I saw it in scb's Decades list, or else I would never have thought to read it myself.

Even though I haven't technically finished Washington Square yet, I'm already debating what book to read next. Should I read Lloyd Alexander's Time Cat, a children's book about a boy who time travels with his cat? Or should I read Earth and Ashes by Atiq Rahimi, which promises to be a sad sad story of the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan? Both books are very short and have been sitting on my to-read shelf for ages. Or, should I continue with the decades theme and read An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott? The heroine of Washington Square was old-fashioned in her own way, so perhaps the two books would make an interesting comparison.

Since I allowed myself such an indulgence this morning, I must prove myself worthy by being extraordinarily productive for the rest of the day.

*gratuitous kitteh image courtesy of some random Chinese website

No comments: