Thursday, April 16, 2009

Colorful poetry

Some of Saki's satirical poems are kind of funny. Like this one, composed by the recurring character Clovis - a color painting of "the dawn coming up over the Brahma-putra river":

"The amber dawn-drenched East with sun-shafts kissed,
Stained sanguine apricot and amethyst,
O'er the washed emerald of the mango groves
Hangs in a mist of opalescent mauves,
While painted parrot-flights impinge the haze
With scarlet, chalcedon and chrysoprase."

I did not know the hue of chrysoprase until I looked it up on wikipedia, though I had a vague suspicion that it was greenish.

And that is all I have to say. Though if I get my act together, there is one story I want to comment more extensively on... perhaps this weekend.

* "The Recessional" in The Complete Saki, p. 202

No comments: