Monday, March 23, 2009

My thoughts exactly

I just finished listening to the audio book version of Jodi Picoult's Change of Heart. This New York Times review by Janet Maslin echoes my criticisms so well, I won't bother to add anything. Change of Heart was my sixth Picoult book, and I found it to be her least impressive effort so far. And here I must make a confession. None of her books have truly engaged me, yet I keep coming back for more. I can't explain why. It could be a function of Audible's selection (her books tend to be long, so I get more minutes per credit), or maybe they're my version of escapist television (since I have no TV). All I know is that I have three more Picoult novels waiting in my iTunes for the next time I need literary accompaniment to my apartment-cleaning endeavors.

I linked to the NYT review to avoid being critical myself, and since I seem to be veering in that direction, I'll stop now.

No comments: