Thursday, September 25, 2008

Multitasking

Thanks to a hip injury that just won't go away, I have more time to read.  I used to jog quite regularly, but I have been advised by several knowledgable people that I really ought to give it a rest.  For a while.  Nothing has been said about biking, though, and so far I haven't noticed any connection between my hip and biking (either in real life or on my exercise bike).  My hip aches regardless of what I do and the biking doesn't exacerbate it.  Still, I try to take it easily, and having a book in hand helps (while on my exercise bike - somehow I don't think that multitasking while biking on the road is such a good idea).  Thanks to my stationary excursion this weekend, the hobbits are safely in Rivendell and Frodo is reunited with Bilbo.  I anticipate that they will make even more progress this weekend.

Here is a delightful saying from the early part of the book:

"Go not to Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes."*

And that is exactly the kind of answer you can expect from an anthropologist, if you are ever compelled to ask one a question.

Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien (p.94, Ballantine Books 1994)

No comments: