Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A delightful discovery

I realized that the local public library system has quite a collection of Chinese language literature. I've been meaning to read more in Chinese, but my old books just aren't catching my interest.

I googled contemporary Chinese fiction recommendations, and Serve the People by Yan Lianke was the first thing to catch my eye. "Serve the People" was one of Mao Zedong's favorite slogans, so I expected it to be political satire. I'm in the mood for some political satire. Amazingly enough, the library has it! It should be in my hands within a week.

After requesting the book, I read the wiki article (linked above), which has a synopsis of the novel. It should be interesting, though lacking in subtly (if you read the wikipedia description especially in regards to the depiction of Mao Zedong, you'll see what I mean). I haven't had good luck with choosing Chinese novels in the last few years, so I'm quite skeptical about this one, but I'm determined to read it from cover to cover nonetheless.

Other recent library acquisitions include Deep Wizardry by Diane Duane and "M" is for Magic by Neil Gaiman. Still working through the Saki collection... and I'm currently reading a Nero Wolfe mystery, The Final Deduction.

Funny how I usually blog more when I'm procrastinating the night before big exams. I'm quite pleased that despite being extraordinarily busy these past weeks, I've still managed to find time to read.

No comments: